Other Animals – Frequently Asked Questions
I found a pet. How to I advertise to find his/her guardian?
Please follow these simple instructions:
- In the body of your e-mail, describe the pet in as much detail as possible, and include your contact information. Use font Times New Roman 12, print color automatic (black), no bold or italic print.
- Include as a file attachment a .jpg photo of the pet, no wider than 150 pixels.
- Please edit your pictures and information for format and content before e-mailing your request to us. H.O.P.E. is not responsible for editing or correcting any information submitted.
How do I advertise to re-home my pet or a stray?
- Follow the same instructions listed above.
- Additionally, pets available for adoption must be spayed/neutered and up-to-date on vaccinations. Dogs must be heartworm negative, and cats must be feline leukemia, and feline AIDS negative. If the pet is not up-to-date as noted above, please do so before asking us to assist.
NOTE: H.O.P.E. is not responsible for any costs incurred by the pet’s owner/guardian.
For what length of time will my advertisement remain on H.O.P.E.’s Website?
Postings will normally remain on our website for three months. At that time, H.O.P.E. will automatically remove the posting, unless the pet’s guardian requests otherwise.
May I send information to you using a different format?
- We’re sorry, for technical reasons, e-mail requests to advertise on our Website must be made using the format listed above.
- You may mail a request to us at P.O. Box 2497, Wilton, NY 12831. Your description of the pet and your contact information will be included. However, we cannot accept pictures in a format different than requested above.
Note: H.O.P.E. reserves the right to request additional information from the pet’s owner/guardian prior to assisting the owner/guardian and their pet/stray. H.O.P.E. also reserves the right to reject any posting, for any reason, without explanation.
May I bring my pet / the stray pet to adoption clinics?
Yes, under the following guidelines:
- You are responsible for transporting the pet to and from our clinics, and must remain with the pet at all times.
- You must bring proof that the pet is cared for medically, as noted in Advertising to Re-home Pet/Stray.
- We are unable to accommodate any non-H.O.P.E. pet, whether privately owned or privately fostered, at any of our Wilton Mall functions. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Note: H.O.P.E. reserves the right to request that the owner/guardian remove the pet/stray from our adoption area, for any reason, without explanation.
How can I help ensure a proper placement for my pet?
- A good place to start is using an adoption questionnaire and adoption agreement. To further assist you, we borrowed a questionnaire and agreement from Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah. sample-adoption-questionnaire-and-agreement1.pdf
- You may also wish to visit our Adoption Process page for more helpful information.
I’m considering adopting a pet from H.O.P.E.’s other animals listed pages. What does H.O.P.E. know about these pets?
Other Cats or Other Dogs for adoption are courtesy listings only. We make no guarantees regarding the health, nature, age or any other information provided about any advertised pet. These pets are offered for adoption by their owners, or other rescues and shelters. H.O.P.E. has not assessed most of these animals. Please contact the person listed with each pet to learn more about them.
I’ve adopted a pet from H.O.P.E.’s “Other Cats” or “Other Dogs” listed, but it’s not working out. Can I bring the pet to H.O.P.E.?
Due to lack of resources, we will probably be unable to accept the pet into our program. You should start with contacting the pet’s previous owner/guardian, who may wish to have the pet/stray returned to them. Or you may want our assistance, following the guidelines listed above.
I met a privately owned pet for adoption. I believe the description of the pet was very different than the owner stated. What should I do?
Please let us know if you believe the description given on our Website is misleading or significantly incomplete. We will follow-up and determine what course of action to take, if any.